Generally when people move into a new home, their first priority is to unpack their things and get settled inside the house. Eventually they have to turn their attention to the exterior of the home, specifically the lawn. The lawn may need immediate attention after moving in because it has more than likely gone without maintenance while on the market, depending on when the previous homeowners moved out. By taking the following actions, you can improve the condition of your lawn and get an excellent start on lawn care in your new home.
- Walk-Through: The first thing you should do is a complete walk through of the yard to evaluate its condition. Inspect all the plants such as the trees and shrubs and make sure that the trees are not too close to the house. You should also evaluate the health of your trees and contact a licensed arborist if you believe your trees could be diseased.
- Hardscape: If your new yard contains hardscape features such as retaining walls, patios, or a deck, inspect them to make sure they are sound and not a potential hazard.
- Drainage: It is important to inspect the drainage to make sure that no standing water gathers near the foundation. Proper drainage will also help prevent soil saturation.
- Create Maintenance Plan: Initially, you must clean up the yard by weeding, mulching, and removing any debris. As you are cleaning up the yard, you can add plants such as flowers or shrubs as you desire. Then create a maintenance plan so that you continue to care for your plants and lawn.
- Soil: The soil is the most important aspect of the yard because every plant is dependent on it to survive. It must be balanced with the proper nutrient content to best support your trees, shrubs, and turf. You can contact a lawn care professional to test the condition of your soil and recommend the best ways to improve its condition.
As you get settled into your new home, do not forget to clean up your lawn and create a maintenance plan to provide consistent care for your lawn and shrubs. You can also change the look of the lawn by adding new plants or gardens as you clean up the yard. If you would like to have a professional provide lawn care or test the condition of your soil, contact Green T Lawn Care. We offer complete lawn care services and additional services such as soil testing, grub treatment, and aerations.Comment »